Friday 19 December 2014

Fixing the broken wire on the Christmas lights

I need to preface this post by saying that I have no electrical qualifications what so ever and don't pretend to know what I am doing. So please don't rely on this being the proper way you should fix your electrical work.

I noticed last night that tragedy had struck our Christmas tree. The bottom set of lights weren't working.
Sorry it is so blurry but you can see down the bottom left that the lights are out.
  I followed the cable back along it's length and found that it has broken two wires.
See the broken wires here
 So I googled how to fix broken wires and came up with this video.
It showed me how to strip the insulation off and twist the wires back together and wrap them up with electrical tape. These are the tools I used.
Pliers, electrical tape and a stanley knife
 One it was all fixed, it looked like this.
The patched up wires
 Then it was time for the moment of truth!!!

Woo hoo, it actually worked. I am so glad I don't have to replace them and proud I could do it easily all by myself.
See the lights are back on now.
Christmas is feeling Merry again in This Little Yellow House.

Cheers,
Nat

5 comments:

  1. Hurrah! Broken Christmas lights are very annoying. Google can fix everything these days eh?!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. What did we do before Google?? LOL

      Thanks for stopping by Nina. Merry Christmas.

      Delete
  2. Love your blog- I just read it from first post to last :D! We are about to start our own extension of our 2.5 bedroom weatherboard home (have a 4th baby coming and 6 people just won't fit ;) ) It's been so great reading the experiences of another person in a similar situation and I love seeing the photos of Tas as that's where I'm from :D (although Launceston rather than Hobart. Good luck and I look forward to following your journey to the end :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Welcome and WOW!!! Thanks for reading the whole blog. Did you really??
      Do you have a blog I can follow to see your extension? And congrats on baby number 4. You are braver than I.

      Cheers,
      Nat

      Delete
    2. I certainly did read the whole thing. It's good to get an idea of what we may be in for ;) Especially given we also have two boys and a girl that will be "helping" just like you Haha. So far my blog is just me changing my mind a gazillion times and planning how I am going to decorate the house so probably not overly interesting. We are hoping to get a draftsman in after the crazy Christmas period :) http://renovationtwenty.blogspot.com.au/

      Delete